Tuesday 16 June 2009

Packing

The last few weeks have flown by and all of a sudden, I'm packing my bags, and tomorrow I'm flying Taipei - Bangkok - Amsterdam - Prague for the summer in Europe. I haven't even had a chance to think about that much, since all of June was dedicated pretty much only to writing papers and giving presentations. Last presentation is tomorrow morning, and in the afternoon i will already be on the way to the airport. It must seem that I'm dying to get out of Taiwan as soon as possible.. That's only partially true, the main reason was that at the time when I was buying my ticket, it was much cheaper when departing on June 17th at the latest.

At the same time, I have to admit that it just isn't very pleasant to be here at the moment, mainly due to the weather. It's been scorching hot & humid pretty much every day now, with huge thunderstorms and pouring rain coming out of nowhere in the afternoons. Just today, I had a nice sprint up the hill to where i live, because I already knew the "pouring buckets of water" type of rain was coming.

Speaking of weather, did you know that typhoons in Taiwan prevent large and destructive earthquakes from happening? Apparently that's what some scientists discovered. Here's an article about it (in Czech). 

Expect some summary of my year 1 in Taiwan, after I've had a bit of time to reflect on them (over Czech beer, of course :)

No comments: