Monday 8 September 2008

The first entry



Welcome. This is the first entry of my blog. At the moment I’m writing this, I am sitting at Schwechat airport in Vienna, Austria, waiting for my flight to Taipei. Flight is delayed already. Nice start. At least that gives me time to write down all the Taiwan related things that are on my mind right now. Since I have many requests about Taiwan information from my dear friends, and because I also want to have something tangible to help me remember all the adventures and the little boring every day things, I have decided to devote at least a few hours every week to this blogging thing. Let’s get rolling.

So, what exactly am I going to do in Taiwan? I am going to study there. The program is called International Master’s in International Communication Studies (I suspect the name sounds a bit more fancy than the real thing is though) at the National Chengchi University in Taipei, Taiwan. Ideally, I will stay for two years and get the whole degree. Of course, there is also the possibility that Taiwan will suck and I will run back to my mommy by X-mas. I have a scholarship that lasts for two years and should be enough to live on, so life should be pretty easy. Other than hard work at the university (yeah, right), I’m also planning on speaking Chinese whenever possible and become fluent by the time I’m done. I want to explore the Far East a bit more and learn and try as many “Chinese” things as possible. What I have in mind is, do some martial arts (perhaps even get up at 5 a.m. and do some tai-chi with the grandpas and grandmas in a park, at least once. That may not happen though, cause I loathe to get up that early.), massage course, eat all the different kinds of Asian food, including the weird ones (I still regret not trying the fried scorpions in Bangkok and larvae in Beijing). There are probably many other things I want to do, but I can’t remember them right now. Feel free to give me a virtual kick if you feel like I’m slacking with these goals. 

No comments: