Monday 8 September 2008

A step-by-step guide to studying in Taiwan

Many people are asking me, how did I manage to get to study in TW for that long and be paid for that. Here is a list of things I had to do, which can be used as a step-by-step guide for any potential Taiwan goers:

Summer 2005 – I read an article by a student about his 5 months exchange in Hong Kong, which got me very interested in doing the same.

September 2006 – December 2006 – My own university exchange at the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, which made me very interested in the Eastern Asia region. I’m also learning Mandarin in my free time.

September 2006 – My first trip to Taiwan, Only 4 days in Taipei and around, which left many great impressions about this island.

January 2007 – I’m back in the Czech Republic, thinking of ways to go to Asia for a bit longer

February 2007 – I learn that the Taiwanese government is offering scholarships for foreign students, to study degree programs or Chinese in Taiwan.

Summer 2007 – I’m writing my bachelor thesis on the topic “Trade and business between Taiwan and the Czech Republic”

February 2008 – Time for scholarship applications again. I’m writing a motivation letter and submitting the application at my university. The university has selected me as a candidate and passed the application on to the Taipei Office in Prague to decide about the scholarship recipients. For VŠE people, look for info at ozs.vse.cz in January / February.

February 2008 – Taking the TOEFL (Test of English as a foreign language). The university requires this one – they don’t care that I have a High school diploma from the United States and the Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English.

March 2008 – Writing some more motivation letters for the Taipei Office in Prague (www.taiwanembassy.org/cz)

April 2008 – The Taipei Office decides only about the scholarship, but I have to find my own study program in TW and apply for it. Hence more applications and more motivation letters (3 pages about “Why I want to study communication” – requires a lot of creativity and a bit of bulshitting)

June 2008 – I received the scholarship, and have been accepted to the university. Seems like I will be going to TW after all.

July 2008 – buying tickets and running around different offices to arrange everything for my trip. Asking the Taipei office, do I need a medical check in order to obtain the visa? They say, medical check is not necessary.

August 2008 – trying to apply for a resident visa for Taiwan at the Taipei office. They say I need to get a medical check in order to obtain the visa. Tests include HIV, Tuberculosis, Leprosy and several other tropical diseases. Doctors don’t even know how a Leprosy test is done. At this point it seems like I won’t be able to get all the tests done and get the visa before my flight. Great

August 2008 – one week later. The Taipei Office calls me. They inform me that I won’t need the medical checks after all. I feel relieved and get the visa, no problems any more.

August 2008 – registering my classes through the university online system. Everything is in Chinese only. Classes are supposed to be in English, but I’m not so sure any more. I get a bit worried about surviving there and for the first time in my life find Chinese characters a bit annoying. 

September 7, 2008 – I will get on the plane in about one hour. Update is coming from Taipei, as soon as I get a chance.

No comments: